At work, there are some basic business skills we all should have to be successful, no matter what type of job we may have or where we may work. When developed, these basic skills will help anyone increase personal performance and professional success. Whether it’s building required job skills, meeting customer needs, being able to make great decisions, or understanding the business strategy. All these skills matter and will make a significant difference in your ability to succeed. Therefore, if you’d like to increase your contribution at work, and create future career opportunities for yourself, then the Basic Business Skills courseware is just the thing to help get you started in the right direction.
- Ensure Strategy Alignment – Runtime: 2:35
- An organization’s strategy is what drives everyone’s work. Every department, team, project group, and individual should be working in some way to help the company achieve its goals and overall strategy—it’s what we are hired to do. And if we were hired to help the company achieve its goals, then we should always be aware of how our work connects to the overall strategy. This course will help you evaluate how well new projects, work, or assignments connect to the company’s strategy—before you commit to them. This evaluation will help you stay true to your purpose—to help deliver the company’s goals, without getting sidetracked or bogged down by work that is not core to your role and purpose. By completing this course, you will be able to ensure alignment to the organization’s strategy before committing to a project or initiative. This course has been approved for 1 hour of PDU credit from PMI (Project Management Institute).
- Identify All Outcomes of a Potential Decision – Runtime: 3.28
- Making decisions is something we do each and every day. Sometimes we make a lot of small decisions, other times we must make decisions that have a significant impact on our work or others. Of course, each of us wants to make a great decision every time. However, that’s not always easy. Making good, sound decisions takes thought and consideration. This course will help you develop the habit of considering different decision options and the consequences of each option. Use the Decision Making Guidelines, you will build your skills and capabilities to think through the options to make a great decision every time. By completing this course, you will be able to identify all possible outcomes before implementing a decision. This course has been approved for 1 hour of PDU credit from PMI (Project Management Institute).
- Know and Meet Customer Needs – Runtime: 3:22
- Our customers are typically the reason we do what we do. Our work, whether it’s a project, task, or assignment, always directly or indirectly impacts our customers. Therefore it makes sense that if we want to perform our jobs well and deliver great results, we must truly know and understand our customers the best that we can.This course will help you learn as much information as possible about your customers to better anticipate, understand, and meet your customer’s needs. By completing this course, you will understand the changing needs of your customers and know how to anticipate and meet those needs. This course has been approved for 1 hour of PDU credit from PMI (Project Management Institute).
- Learn Workplace Technology – Runtime: 2:41
- One of the best ways to contribute to your company is to grow and develop your skills and capabilities. This is because individuals with strong expertise and experience increase innovation, contribute to higher productivity levels, and improve customer service. While each of us was hired because of our skills and capabilities, our expertise and experience definitely grow over time, thus increasing our contribution to the organization.This course will help you identify the technology you will learn to strengthen your skills at work. The technology may be a software program, a new mobile device, a piece of machinery, or may even be an existing system you want to gain superuser status in. This technology may be fairly simple and straightforward or it may be more complex and require time to create proficiency. This course will help you determine the best technology for you to learn for your job right now. By completing this course, you will be able to learn a new workplace technology to enhance your individual work performance. This course has been approved for 1 hour of PDU credit from PMI (Project Management Institute).
- Organizing Your Workspace – Runtime: 5:58
- Just as your words and actions reflect your values and work ethic, the appearance of your workspace reflects who you are too. This makes sense. Think about a person with a neat and organized desk. Typically we think of this person as dependable, capable, and committed to quality. On the other hand, someone with a messy and unorganized workspace may be seen as lazy, unskilled, and unreliable. While we know this isn’t always true, there are plenty of highly successful people with unorganized workspaces, it’s also true that perceptions matter. And if perceptions matter, then it makes sense to do the things needed to ensure you are perceived in the best way possible, and this includes maintaining a well-organized workspace.This course will help you organize and unclutter your workspace to create an efficient and clutter-free environment. By completing this course, you will know how to organize your workspace and maintain a clutter-free and productive work environment. This course has been approved for 1 hour of PDU credit from PMI (Project Management Institute).
- Resources for Success – Runtime: 3:03
- Most organizations have a limited amount of time, people, and money; and thus must make tough decisions when allocating resources. The challenge for each of us, as individual employees, is to be clear on what we really need to be successful and to identify how we can work with what we’ve got. Once we know this, we can determine what actions may be taken to secure the additional resources required to deliver our individual goals and achieve great results.This course will help you look at each assignment, task, or project and determine what resources you need to deliver this work at a high level of performance. You will then determine what you must have to be successful and create a plan to secure the resources for your job. As with all resources, sometimes compromises are needed, however, being able to clearly articulate why you need the resource and how it can help you in your job, will increase the likelihood of your success. By completing this course, you will be able to identify the resources you need to be successful in your role. This course has been approved for 1 hour of PDU credit from PMI (Project Management Institute).
- Seeking Out Cutting Edge Ideas – Runtime: 3:33
- As an individual working for a company, it is part of your job to be innovative and creative; to look for new ways to solve old problems, and identify how you can better meet your customers’ needs. The great thing about this is when you increase your innovative and creative actions, you’ll find your work is exciting and challenging, you’ll increase your contribution to the company, and others will start to notice your great work too.This course will help you understand where you can be innovative, that is to know what you have control or influence over. It is in these areas, what we can control or influence, that we can successfully innovate. Trying to improve something we have no control over tends not to work so well, so why not focus on the areas where you can make a difference. By completing this course, you will know how to seek out new or cutting-edge programs or processes that positively impact the organization’s strategy. This course has been approved for 1 hour of PDU credit from PMI (Project Management Institute).
- Strengthen Job Required Skills – Runtime: 2:56
- The greater our position knowledge is, the better we can perform our job and not only meet expectations but also exceed them. So whether you’re in a new role, or have been in the same job for a while, making the effort to understand all aspects of your job is essential. This course will help you create a comprehensive summary of your position to create a broader understanding of your individual purpose and contribution within the company, as well as know what skills and capabilities are required to perform your job at a higher level of performance.By completing this course, you will know how to increase your ability to perform the processes and procedures required for your job. This course has been approved for 1 hour of PDU credit from PMI (Project Management Institute).
- Understanding Financial Management – Runtime: 3:07
- As you grow in your career you take on more responsibility and are asked to handle more difficult tasks. This often includes managing some aspect of the company’s finances. Whether it’s managing a team or department budget, applying critical accounting principles, or making large purchase decisions, your leadership role requires you to have a certain level of financial management capabilities. This course will help you determine how you can take your financial management skills to the next level by understanding your current capabilities, selecting what skills you will build, and identifying the development methods that will work best for you. By completing this course, you will know how to take your knowledge and understanding of financial management to the next level. This course has been approved for 1 hour of PDU credit from PMI (Project Management Institute).
- Work Place Rules and Policies – Runtime: 3:20
- Just like a company must brand its products and services to ensure success, we too must brand ourselves to ensure our own success. Branding yourself helps others in the company get to know your expertise and value. As a result, you may uncover new and exciting work opportunities and strengthen your career. This course will help you create two branding statements. One that describes the type of work you do, and one that describes your accomplishments and expertise. Although you’ll be able to come up with your answers quickly, the purpose of this action is to take the extra time to really edit and improve your responses to create the best branding statements possible. By completing this course, you will know how to brand yourself to others. This course has been approved for 1 hour of PDU credit from PMI (Project Management Institute).